Because the purchase of a vehicle often represents a heavy investment, it is important to take your time in order to find the right deal. Selection of ads, vehicle inspection find 10 tips to buy your used car like a pro.
1. Leave on time. The first piece of advice we can give you is to plan ahead. The more time you have to buy your vehicle, the more likely you are to see good deals. If you are in a hurry to buy, you will have fewer choices and you risk paying more or having a vehicle that you like a little less. If you’re planning on buying a used car in the next few months, you should start looking at ads now.
Find the best used cars among the ads
The first step to properly buying a vehicle is to select quality advertisements so as not to waste time and not have any unpleasant surprises after the purchase. Here are the criteria to look at to select the best ads.
2. Check vehicle rating. The price of a used vehicle is fixed according to its rating. The rating of a vehicle depends on many criteria such as age, number of km, options… This price will give you an idea of the real value of the vehicle according to given criteria. It is important to check the actual rating of the vehicle before buying to ensure that you are not paying too much for it. When you resell this vehicle, future buyers will be sure to check it out. In France, the best-known rating system remains the Argus, but it is a paying system. Fortunately today with the internet you can find the free auto rating you need on many sites.
3. Choose quality ads. There are many factors to consider when selecting a vehicle in good condition. Here are the mentions to spot that make all the difference.
If possible, favor 1st or 2nd hand ads , which means that the car has only been driven by 1 or 2 owners. Vehicles that sleep in a garage are less subject to bad weather (temperature change, rain, frost, etc.), the exteriors age better and they are less subject to humidity or electronic problems. At equivalent mileage, choose the vehicle that is driven more on the highway than in town . The general wear will be much less important (in particular on the level of the clutch, the brakes, the shock absorbers…). Prefer vehicles with invoices and maintenance booklet to ensure the good condition of the vehicle (see 4).Some used vehicles are sold with a warranty , a significant advantage that will allow you to drive serenely for a certain time.
4. Find ads at the best price. For this you will have to combine patience and speed. Check the ads regularly to be among the first to see interesting ads. Look all over France and don’t be afraid to move around . Take an interest in ads without photos which attract much less attention, you will be less in competition with other buyers and therefore better placed for negotiation. If necessary do not hesitate to call for a description of the vehicle.
5. Plan for future maintenance costs. Preferably select vehicles with the maintenance booklet and invoices that will allow you to ensure the good condition of the vehicle. Consider looking at heavy expense items like the timing belt. To find out if you will need to replace it soon, you can call a dealership of the brand of vehicle you are interested in and ask him after how long and how many km it will take to change. You may be a future customer, he will be happy to answer you.
6. Think about the costs that will be added to the purchase of the vehicle. Insurance often represents a significant budget, especially for young drivers. Its price varies greatly depending on the model of the vehicle but also according to the version. In general, less powerful vehicles cost less to insure. At equivalent power, choose a 5-door vehicle that costs less to insure and will be easier to resell. Also remember that if you buy a vehicle over 10 years old, the price of the gray card will be almost halved.